home recipe index outside the kitchen links about contact

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tres Leches

Okay guess what? MY NEW LENS CAME! But all of the pictures for the recipes I am going to post were taken last night...at like midnight, with the old lens. It was pretty funny because I put the new lens on, drug my six-year-old outside and took pictures of her and they were like...beyond awful...all flooded with light. I figured I would just need to read the manual for the new lens but then I realized...the lens was NOT even attached to the camera. Doi. Once I attached the lens the right way life got much much better. I can't wait to show you.

In the mean time though, this is probably the best cake I have ever made or eaten (oh and I have eaten my fair share of cakes people). At my last visit to Cafe Rio I got a thing on my receipt for a free dessert, I ordered the Tres Leches and loooooooved it. Unfortunately though when you have to share a small dessert with five people (darn kids...) you don't get very much of it. So I came away realizing that I had to learn how to make Tres Leches. Good news! It's easy as pie. Probably easier, and the results are stellar. I will be taking this to my next family function. Good thing I am growing fond of my love handles.

Tres Leches


by: allrecipes.com

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup white sugar
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

For topping:
2 cups whole milk ( I only had 2%, the shame!)
1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk (do yourself a favor and do not calculate how many calories are in this can alone. Trust me)
1 (12 fluid oz) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 - 1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 dgs F. Grease and flour one 9x13 inch baking pan. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside. In a separate bowl cream butter and the one cup sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs (one at a time, with about ten seconds between each) and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; beat well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture 2 tablespoons at a time; mix until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 dgs for 30 minutes. When cake is done pierce several times with a fork. Seriously...I made funky designs all over the cake, go to town. Set cake aside to cool.

Combine the whole milk (uno), condensed milk (dos), and evaporated milk (tres, tres leches!) together. Pour over the top of the cooled cake. Watch it all soak in. Mmmmm.

Whip whipping cream, when the cream is almost whipped add in some powdered sugar (to taste, but if that stresses you out, add like half a cup) and a dash (teaspoon) vanilla. Spread whipped cream over the cake. Be sure to refrigerate the cake!

Here's the thing. This cake was good, but it was SO MUCH better after the cake had been in the fridge a while. So I recommend letting the cake sit in the fridge for an hour or two before serving. Seriously, I had it for breakfast this morning....mmmm baby. My love handles are quivering just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments = love