home recipe index outside the kitchen links about contact

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Parmesan Garlic Tilapia Sticks


The embarrassing thing about going two weeks without a post on a recipe blog is realizing that now everyone will know that it's been a good two weeks since I've actually cooked. Whoopsie. I got a little crazy and decided to take my kids on a road trip to Oregon (I loooove the ocean!). That was....probably not the smartest thing I've ever done, but gall darn it it was memorable. And that IS the important thing. Since I am not crazy enough to drive solo with three children, I invited my friend Katie along (and her two girls, five car seats, one van, I deserve a medal). Maybe I will post the gory details in the "outside the kitchen" tab of lemonglaze. Get excited about that :). Then on the heels of our arrival back home I came down with the plague. It was seriously the sickest I've ever been, and I've been really sick before (read: pregnancy). This was more of a head-pounding-so-hard-you-have-to-hold-it-in-place-so-it-doesn't-explode type of sickness. I am so glad to be over that.

So needless to say we've been eating a lot of pizza, questionably old leftovers, cereal, jamba juices, and Del Taco. Not my proudest two weeks of eating. Though I ate better on the Oregon trip than I have probably ever eaten in my life. Rotisserie turkey, steaks grilled to perfection, organic multigrain cinnamon rolls (there are lots of advantages to staying with friends and family over staying at a hotel!). Anywho, I finally got it together and made dinner tonight.

Tilapia. It's one of the best things ever. Mainly because it is inexpensive and fast/easy to cook. I always keep a couple packages of frozen tilapia on hand for an easy meal. Plus, it doesn't taste too "fishy", it just tastes like whatever you season it with. Perfect!

We love these fish sticks, they are easy to make, tasty and best of all the kids love them (and so does Blaine!).

Parmesan Garlic Tilapia Sticks


by Natalie @ Perry's Plate

1 lb tilapia or any other firm, white fish such as cod
1 egg
1/4 cup buttermilk (I used regular milk)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
salt
pepper
sauce for dipping (ideas include marinara, ranch, sour cream, tartar sauce)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut fish in to 1/2-inch strips and sprinkle a little salt on both sides.

In a small shallow bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk and garlic. In another shallow bowl combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and a big pinch of salt and pepper.

Dip the fish sticks into the wet mixture, let excess liquid drip off, then coat in bread crumb mixture. Lay on a baking sheet and repeat with remaining fish sticks. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. If you want them golden brown, broil them for the last minute of baking time.

1 comment:

  1. These were relatively easy, and were a big hit with the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Comments = love